Downtown Historic District The downtown historic district contains a significant collection of commercial buildings, dating from the first half of the 1800s to about 1950, as well as residential, religious, and other building types. The contributing buildings represent a wide range of architectural styles, including Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, Renaissance Revival, Beaux Arts, Neoclassical and Chicago Commercial. Generally, the oldest buildings are located on Main Street, which is significant for its high concentration of Federal and Greek Revival style buildings. As the city grew and prospered, many Italiante structures were constructed on State, Pearl and Market streets. The district was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. Information on individual properties from Downtown walking tour brochure and from other research by Floyd County Historian Dave Barksdale, and from National Register of Historic Places nomination, prepared by the Westerly Group. Listings
house 207 Bank Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: gable-front
This property was purchased from the First National Bank in May 1902 by Elizabeth Meyer for $337.50. The rear brick portion of the structure was originally used as the bank cashiers living quarters for the Indiana State Bank.
house 312 Bank Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: gable-front
Year Built: c.1860
Levi Block 319 Bank Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Neoclassical
Year Built: 1906
Dr. L.D. Levi had this office building constructed in 1906 in the Neoclassical style.
This townhouse, along with 218, 220 & 224 East Main Street, was built for Simeon K. Wolfe, a prominent New Albany lawyer. He used them for investment purposes and rented this property out for at least 25 years.
Constructed in 1879, the Tabernacle Baptist Church had an auditorium that was considered to be the finest in New Albany at the time. The congregation moved to a church at East Ninth and Spring streets in 1920, where it remains today.
This simple, temple-front Greek Revival building was built in 1864 as a German Methodist church. It has been owned by the Bethel A.M.E. Church since the early twentieth century.
house 317 East 5th Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: American Foursquare
Year Built: c.1910
Sapinsky Block 101 East Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Renaissance Revival
Year Built: 1896
Clothiers Jacob Sapinsky & Son had this ornate Renaissance Revival-style building constructed in 1896, by New Albany contractors S. Day and Sons.
Scribner House 106 East Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Federal
Year Built: 1814
The oldest remaining building in New Albany, the Scribner House was constructed in 1814 by founding father Joel Scribner. The Piankeshaw Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution has owned the house and operated it as a museum since 1917.
Clapp Block 110 East Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Italianate
Year Built: 1868
Built in 1868 in the Italianate style, this business block contained a Masonic hall for the Dudley Temple of Honor on the third floor.
It appears that Jefferson Conner had this building constructed shortly after he purchased the lot in November 1856 for $2,000. He was partners with Frank Gillett in the dry goods concern of Conner & Gillett.
Constructed circa 1850, half of this building was occupied by druggist W. T. Courtney in the 1850s. It has housed a variety of other uses since, and was used as apartments during much of the 20th century.
Trio House 224 East Main Street New Albany, IN 47150
Year Built: 1878
This townhouse - along with two to the west, at 218 and 220 East Main, and one to the south, at 43 East Third - were built by attorney Simeon K. Wolfe for investment purposes.
New Albany architect and master builder Isaac P. Smith built this structure between 1849-52, for the congregation of Second Presbyterian Church. It is also commonly known as the 'Town Clock Church,' because the clock can be seen throughout downtown and from the Ohio River.
house 310 East Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: gable-front
This heavily-altered commercial building was once home to Lewis Hammond's 'Yankee Doodle' store.
Reibel House 115 East Market Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Renaissance Revival
Year Built: 1887
As early as 1859, Joseph H. Reibel was running a saloon and boarding house on East Market Street. This building, constructed in 1887, replaced a two-story structure that he had been using for his business and residence since 1865.
John Briggs purchased this lot - which included an older building - for the hefty sum of $9025 in 1871, and this building was completed the next year. From 1931 until 1973, Woolworth's occupied this space, as well as the two buildings to the west.
Wilcox Building 133-135 East Market Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Italianate
Year Built: 1869
Dr. Peleg M. Wilcox had this block of buildings constructed in 1869 in the Italianate style, incorporating a c.1840 building into the new construction at 135.
This building was constructed in 1874 by master builders James and William Banes for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The structure is still home to New Albany Lodge #1, the first Odd Fellows Lodge organized in the Hoosier state.
Designed by Joseph & Joseph Architects of Louisville, KY, the Elsby Building was constructed in 1916 on the former site of the 1866 Masonic Temple. The Neoclassical-style building cost $100,000 to construct and was advertised as being fire-proof.
Centenary Methodist Church was established in 1839, and the congregation still occupies its original church building. This Greek Revival structure has seen numerous changes through the years but retains much of its historic character.
Built by the end of the Civil War, this building served the demands of the thriving retail and wholesale districts of downtown New Albany. The earliest tenants of the building are unknown, but by 1882 Josiah Gwin had his publishing company here.
This was the first New Albany location of retail giant F.W. Woolworth Company, beginning in about 1913. About ten years later, the first Woolworth's Cafeteria in the nation opened on the second floor here.
Ben Briggs purchased this lot for $6500 in August 1890, but did not have this building constructed for over a decade. The Neoclassical-style structure was built on the former site of the M.V. Mallory Livery Stable.
Hieb Building 316-318 Pearl Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Italianate
Year Built: 1870
This Italianate style building was constructed in 1870 for clothier and merchant tailor John Hieb. In addition to its architectural beauty, the building is notable as having had the first American-made, ground and polished plate glass windows, which hung in the storefront.
The Opera House was constructed in 1866 at a cost of $100,000, and seated 2500 patrons for its performances. The building was extensively remodeled following a 1939 fire, including the removal of the third floor.
Neafus Saloon 116 West Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Italianate
Year Built: c.1882
Built in 1882 as a saloon, this building has housed a number of different taverns and other establishments over the years.
Shrader Stables 118 West Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Italianate
Year Built: 1875
In 1875, John Shrader, Sr. and son George had this Italianate-style building constructed for their livery business.
Woodward Hall 128 West Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Egyptian Revival
Year Built: 1852
The concave cornice at the roofline and above the storefront show the influence of the Egyptian Revival style. The building was constructed in 1852 for dry goods wholesaler John Woodward, and included the city's first public hall on the third floor.