HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Lang Block
227 Pearl Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
The original owner of this block of buildings was Thomas Conner. When constructed circa 1855, there were four different storefronts, three facing Pearl Street and one facing Market. According to early Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, the second floor was used as club rooms, while the third floor housed a Masonic Hall.

The property passed through several different owners until Frank J. Lang purchased all interests in the buildings by 1884. Wholesale clothing merchant and tailor Isaac Maienthal operated in this location between 1861 and 1894. By the ealy 1930s, Steiden Grocery Store was open here. In the late 1940s, The Joy Shop, dealer in women's clothing, located here and remained a downtown fixture through the mid-1970s. Attorney Stephen J. Beardsley later purchased and rehabbed the building for his office and residence.

The property now includes a walled courtyard behind the building; the 1969 photo below shows the historic buildings that once stood facing Market Street on this site. 



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: c.1855
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2021
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved