HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Hieb Building
316-318 Pearl Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This Italianate style building was constructed in 1870 for clothier and merchant tailor John Hieb. The second and third stories of the front elevation are executed in cut limestone done by New Albany craftsmen John Diebold and Robert Emery, and the brickwork was done by John Crawford, also of New Albany. The Louisville firm of Sneed & Company produced the cast iron storefront. 

In addition to its architectural beauty, the building is notable as having had the first American-made, ground and polished plate glass windows, which hung in the storefront. The windows were produced by Capt. John C. Ford, proprietor of the New Albany Glass Works at East 10th Street and the Ohio River, and known as the father of plate glass in America. Capt. Ford later went on to found the Libby-Owens-Ford Glass Company in Pittsburgh, PA.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1870
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2021
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved