HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Shrader Stables
118 West Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
In 1875, John Shrader, Sr. and son George had this building constructed for their livery business.  According to an 1875 newspaper account, Shrader & Son Stables “will equal, if not excel, any like establishment in the West.” By the turn of the 19th century, the Shraders also operated an embalming and undertaking business here. Later, the building was home to the Hendricks Poultry Company from the 1930s to the early 1950s.

After many years of abandonment and neglect - the color photo below shows the building and the adjacent Neafus Saloon in 2005 - the building recently underwent an extensive rehabilitation by developer Steve Resch and restauranteur Ian Hall for use as a restaurant. That effort earned a 2013 Facelift Award from the New Albany Historic Preservation Commission.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1875
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2021
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved