HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Empire Flouring Mills
146-150 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
These structures could date to 1850 or even earlier. The first bay had contained the Conner & Rice flouring mill as early as 1856, while the second bay was occupied by August Bradley, a produce and commission merchant.  By 1882, the second bay was included in the flouring mill operations, which became the Empire Flouring Mill and remained up until the turn of the century. 
 
In 1900, Frank A. Kraft, furniture manufacturer and funeral director had located here and remained until about 1918 or 1919.  The following year, M. Fine & Son located their shirt factory here.  M. Fine & Son built their new clothing factory further up East Main Street - between 14th and 15th streets - in 1922, but this facility continued to be used until 1936 when a new addition to the upper Main Street factory was completed. The space was briefly home to Bensinger Furniture Company in the early 1940s. By 1943, Reisz Furniture had located here and remained a fixture for the next thirty years.
 
The third bay was home to the Graf Harness and Saddlery Shop.  The business began in 1847 and was found in this block of Main Street as early as 1848. The business remained here through 1941, when it ceased operations.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: vernacular
Year Built: c.1850
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved