HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
John J. Morgan Building
201 Pearl Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This Neoclassical-style building was constructed in 1903 by Stephen Day & Son for Bazil Doerhoeffer of Louisville. Tailor John J. Morgan and his Great One Price Clothing and Department Store were the first occupants, but occupied the building for only three years. It was subsequently home to Rhodes-Burford Furniture Store until around 1915. Jacob Sapinsky and Sons then moved their dry goods business here from State and Main streets. The building housed the furniture department for the White House Department Store from 1926-1933, and then was home to Sears and Roebuck Company from 1934-1966. The building is visible on the left in the postcard below, from about 1905. 



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Neoclassical
Year Built: 1903
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved