HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
John Briggs Block
123 East Market Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
John Briggs purchased this lot - which included a building - for the hefty sum of $9025 in 1871. He planned to remodel the older building, but instead replaced it with this Italianate structure, completed in 1872. The first floor was used for storerooms, the second floor for offices, and the third floor was a public hall. Geo. W. Grosheider was the first tenant for the storefront. His retail and wholesale grocery building occupied this corner until about 1918.

By 1921, a Piggly-Wiggly Grocery was located here, and remained here for the next decade. The photo below, from the 2001 publication Floyd County - The Early Years, shows the building during this time period.

Along with the two buildings to the west, this building was occupied by the F.W. Woolworth Co. 5 & 10 Cent Store from 1931 to 1973. The popular Woolworth's Cafeteria occupied the second floor of the two corner buildings. The second-story windows were shortened for safety reasons during the time the cafeteria was located there.   



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1872
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved