HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Stanton R. Welch Building
208 Pearl Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Built by the end of the Civil War, this building served the demands of the thriving retail and wholesale districts of downtown New Albany.  At the time of construction, New Albany was the leading city in Indiana and its commercial and industrial establishments were known throughout the country.
 
The earliest tenants of the building are unknown, but by 1882 Josiah Gwin had his publishing company here.  He was also proprietor of the New Albany Public Press, a weekly newspaper that was printed in this building. 
 
Other occupants in the latter half of the 19th Century included: Henry Bach Confectionary, C. C. Brown, “the Tailor” and Henry Cerf & Co., pawn broker and jeweler.
 
Geo. E. Kremer had his music store here by 1902 and remained until about 1906.  Fred Steinhauer was next to occupy the building with his barber shop and by 1919 Stanton Welch had set up his own barber shop here.
 
It is unclear when Mr. Welch purchased the building, but he remained in the barbering business through the early 1940s and later ran a newsstand through the late 1950s.
 
There have been numerous retail establishments located in this structure through the 1960s to present day.  One in particular, Bernie’s Medicine Shop, in business between the early 1970s and the late 1980s, supplied downtown shoppers and merchants with a discount pharmacy and other items to meet the medical needs of the nearby community.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: vernacular
Year Built: c.1865
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved