HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
commercial building
207 West 1st Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
The Rowe-Fawcett Wholesale Grocer Company purchased Woodward Hall in 1908, and began their wholesale grocery concern here. It remained in operation from 1908 to 1936. ​They added a 5,000 sq. ft. addition to the rear of the building in 1922, when delivery trucks began replacing horse drawn delivery wagons. The addition - now 207 West 1st Street - was put on so delivery trucks could pull inside to load up goods.

Wolford-Wunderlich, wholesale grocers, located their business in building between 1937 and 1944, followed by another wholesale grocer, Merchants Wholesale Grocery Co. in 1947 to 1951. The Trading Post, general merchandise was active in the building for just two years from 1959 through 1960.

Then in 1961, for the first time, a totally different business was located in the building. Wrights Moving & Storage,  occupied the space for their warehouse over the next 22 years. From 1984 to 2014, the building was used as an Antique Mall, which occupied the entire space.  

The rear portion was rehabbed in 2014, creating a storefront in the long-boarded entrance to the rear addition and earning owners Stacey and Jeff Freibert a Facelift Award from the New Albany Historic Preservation Commission.

(information adapted from Seeds and Greens website)




Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: vernacular
Year Built: 1922
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2021
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved