HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Dr. Asahel Clapp House
114 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
The oldest extant brick building in New Albany, this was the home and office of the community's first doctor, Dr. Asahel Clapp. The building was constructed in 1822 in a simple Federal style, and was later updated with Italianate ornament, most notably the bracketed cornice. He helped form the Indiana Medical Society and served as its second president. Dr. Clapp had many scientific interests beyond medicine: he studied the area's plants, animals and rocks and was known as Indiana's first botanist. He also kept daily weather journals that were later used by the National Weather Service.

The photo below, from the collection of the Indiana Room at the New Albany-Floyd County Public Library, shows the building around 1920, before the changes to the storefront level.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Federal/Italianate
Year Built: 1822
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved