HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
The Globe Store
109 East Market Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This Italianate-style building was constructed for Louis Goodbub in 1875 at a cost of $4500. Mr. Goodbub operated a grocery store here until the early 1880s, when Michael Schuler took over the business. He continued to operate a grocery store here until the mid-1890s, after which a series of restaurants used the space.  By the early 1910s, Elder Miller was living upstairs with his wife, Annette, and operating the Globe Department Store on the first level. The building continued to be owned by the Miller family into the 2000s.

The photo below, taken circa 1892, shows the buildings that used to stand in the parking lot to the west and north of the Globe Store. A corner of one of the market houses that used to stand in the center of Market Street is also visible.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1875
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved