HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Ewing & Zeller Printing Building
145 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This structure, along with the building to its west, was constructed around 1860. Originally, the west building housed Jas. H. Conner’s drug store while this building’s early tenants remain a mystery. In the 1868 New Albany City Directory, it lists the printing concern of Browning, Smith & Co. being located here, but only for a few years.
 
Again, there is no record of a business occupying this side of the structure until Andrew Springer expanded his furniture dealership and undertaking business here in 1882.  Andrew had previously established his company in the west building in 1880.
 
By the mid 1880s, bookseller and stationer, Ezekiel Day had located here and would remain until the turn of the century.
 
Around 1906, printers and stationers, Joseph G. Ewing & Adolph L. Zeller moved their ca.1892 business here from State Street, and would remain until 1956.  The company also published the ever popular Home Organizer, an advertising sheet that was distributed free to the residents of New Albany.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: vernacular
Year Built: 1860
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved