HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Burk-Williams House
43 East 3rd Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This townhouse, along with 218, 220 & 224 East Main Street, was built for Simeon K. Wolfe, a prominent New Albany lawyer. He used them for investment purposes and rented this property out for at least 25 years after its construction in 1880.
 
Richard and Mary Burk first rented this house around the turn of the century and later purchased the home in October 1905. Mr. Burk served during the Civil War as lieutenant of Company F Twenty-third Indiana volunteers. He was a carpenter by trade and died at age 84 in January 1908. Mary remained in the home until her death in March 1912 at the age of 83 years.
 
The house again was used as rental property from 1912 until August 1920, when it was purchased by William H. Williams. This would begin a 78-year tenure by the Williams family.
 
Mr. Williams was a machine hand at E. V. Knight’s New Albany Veneering Co., located at East 13th and McBeth Streets in New Albany. He died at 48 years of age in March 1930 and his widow, Minnie remained in the home until her death in April 1973 at the age of 92. In 1956, the Williams’ daughter and son-in-law, Irene and Clifford Campbell came to live in the house with Mrs. Williams.
 
Clifford was employed by Paramount Plywood Co. in New Albany. He died at 74 years in March 1983 and Irene continued her residency here until her tragic death being hit by an automobile at the corner of East Third and Main Streets in April 1998. She was a retired employee of the old H. A. Seinsheimer Co., makers of fine men’s clothing. Mrs. Campbell was 88 years old at the time of her death.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: One-third double pile
Year Built: 1880
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved