HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
commercial building
102 East Market Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Built circa 1880, this corner commercial building was once home to the St. Charles Saloon, while the upper floor housed Maennechor Halle. The photo below shows the building circa 1892, with its original storefront, ornamental window hoods and bracketed cornice intact.

St. Charles Saloon was operated by Casper Feiock, who operated as many as seven other saloons in the city. Born in Pittsburgh in 1841, Feiock was brought by his parents to this area soon after. He worked as a carpenter and helped build the American Plate Glass Works, and was also a member of the Jackson Guards during the Civil War. In 1868 he bought a half interest in the Sohn and Company Spring Brewery, located on the corner of Vincennes and Locust streets in New Albany, and in 1873 he partnered with Joseph Renn in Renn and Feiock Mineral Water and Ale.

Between 1877 and 1885 Casper opened several saloons in New Albany, including the St. Charles, the Pearl Street Saloon at 75 Pearl Street, and Feiock's Gardens at the northwest corner of Spring and Vincennes streets (now the site of Rally's Hamburgers).

In 1886 Feiock was New Albany's largest cigar manufacturer and wholesaler, and during this period he was also granted several patents, for the 'Beer Bung' and the 'Stave Croze.'  
 
(Information courtesy of the Feiock family)



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: c.1880
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved