HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Elias Ayres Building
134 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
In 1836, this building replaced an earlier, frame structure that had also housed Elias Ayres' dry goods store. By 1852 and for at least 40 years, the upstairs was used as a photography studio, with numerous photographers occupying the space. The rear addition was completed in 1860, making the store rooms a total of 120 feet deep.

The photo below, which appears to be circa 1970, shows the building when it housed the New Albany Steam Laundry. The photo is from the collection of the Indiana Room, New Albany-Floyd County Public Library.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Federal
Year Built: 1836
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved