HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Jacob Goodbub Building
217 Pearl Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Like its neighbor to the north, this building was constucted to house Jacob Goodbub's confectionery business. This structure was built in 1886 - fourteen years after the adjacent building - but was designed to match its appearance. When this building was completed, the complex included an open-air courtyard at the rear of the buildings, ringed by second-floor balconies. The area was used as an ice cream parlor, and was described as being "the most elegant summer ice-cream saloon in the state." In 1909, Mutual Trust Bank was founded here, and remained in this location until their new building at 322-324 Pearl was completed in 1909. Both 217 and 219 Pearl saw numerous uses over the years, including the Evans Department Store, which used both storefronts from about 1940 till the mid-1960s.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1886
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved