HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Monsch Hotel
148 East Market Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
John T. Monsch had this "European style" hotel built in 1871, in the Italianate style of architecture. The brick work was done by John Anderson and the stone work by John Diebold, both of New Albany. John B. Ford and the New Albany Glass Works were contracted for the glass.

Unfortunately, Mr. Monsch lost the hotel just two years after opening it. However, it continued to operate as a hotel through 1994, under numerous owners and at least ten name changes. The postcard below shows the hotel in 1910, when it was known as the Ashland.

The current owner purchased the building in 2013 and has undertaken an extensive rehabilitation, including conversion of the upper two floors of the building into twelve apartments.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1871
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved