HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
City Drug Store Building
221-223 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
W. T. Courtney, druggist, occupied at least half of this vernacular-style building in the 1850s. In 1858, Dr. E. Warfield purchased The City Drug Store and continued operation of the store through the early 1860s. By 1886, a grocery occupied the entire building. Later uses of the structure were a furniture store, a pipe shop, and a tailor. Into the 20th century, the storefront had been abandoned and the building was being used as apartments as early as 1907. The Howard Apartments, as it was called at the time, remained in existence into the early 1950s. After a short period of time of housing an insurance company and an advertising agency, the building reverted back into apartments. 



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: vernacular
Year Built: c.1850
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved