HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Danforth-Briggs-Cody House
330 East 3rd Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Thomas Danforth, a partner in Day & Danforth Insurance agents, had this Greek Revival style townhome built by January 1854. New Albany entrepreneur John Briggs purchased the house in 1857 for $5000, and the Briggs family occupied the house through the mid-1920s. Between 1935 and 1936, the Girl Scout Council occupied the house, and in 1937 the American Red Cross acquired the house for its local chapter.  

In 1941, New Albany historians Mr. and Mrs. John A. Cody, Jr. began a residence here that lasted over sixty years. The Codys were founding members of the Floyd County Historical Society and pioneers in building appreciation for New Albany's history and historic architecture. Mrs. Cody - or "Bebe", as she was affectionately known - continued to live in her historic home through 2004, even after the death of her husband in 1998. The house remains in the Cody family today.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Greek Revival
Year Built: 1853
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved