HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Woodward Hall
128 West Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
The concave cornice at the roofline and above the storefront show the influence of the Egyptian Revival style. The building was constructed by New Albany contractors Stewart Sanford and Charles Sackett in 1852, for dry goods wholesaler John Woodward.

The building included the city's first public hall on the third floor. This space hosted several notable events - including the state's first performance of Uncle Tom's Cabin and a lecture by Oliver Wendell Holmes - before it ceased to be used as a hall around 1887. The third floor was also used as a hospital during the Civil War.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Egyptian Revival
Year Built: 1852
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2021
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved