HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Second Baptist Church
300 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
New Albany architect and master builder Isaac P. Smith built this structure between 1849-52, for the congregation of Second Presbyterian Church. The congregation and its leadership was well-known for its abolitionist tendencies, and the church sub-basement is strongly believed to have been used to shelter fugitive slaves. The Second Baptist Church acquired the property in 1889, and continues to worship here today. In 1915, the original steeple (seen in the photo below) was struck by lightning and removed. It was replicated and reinstalled in May 2016.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Greek Revival
Year Built: 1849-52
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved