HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Chamber of Commerce Building
215 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Joseph Zimmerman purchased this property in March of 1884 and had this Italianate building constructed. The building could have been occupied prior to 1887, since the 1886 Sanborn Insurance Map shows a two-story brick structure located on this site. The New Albany City Directory of 1886-87 lists Mrs. Theresa Siethel, dealer in notions, already at this address and she remained here through the very late 1880s. By 1890, Mrs. Emelia Mouth, milliner, had her business here through 1896. During the next 25 years the building was either vacant or housed numerous short-lived businesses. Burt Richards, owner of 213 E. Main St., purchased this building in the early 1920s and incorporated it with his grocery, next door, through 1930. Burt then ran his second-hand furniture business here through the mid 1940s. Radio Sales and Service Co. began its business about the same time and remained here through 1955. The New Albany Chamber of Commerce had already located here in the early 1950s and remained at this location for a number of years.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1885
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved