HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
New Albany Carnegie Public Library
201 East Spring Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Andrew Carnegie contributed $40,000 toward the construction and furnishing of this building, one of 1679 that he helped to build across the United States. Indiana built more Carnegie libraries than any other state. The City of New Albany committed $3500 a year for the project, and a suitable site.

This elegant, Neoclassical-style structure was built by New Albany contractors, and local architect Paul Moosmiller, Jr., with the Louisville firm of Clarke and Loomis, supervised construction. The photo below shows the interior soon after completion.  

It continued to be used as the community's public library until November 1969, when a new facility on West Spring Street was completed. It was subsequently adapted for use - including a compatible rear addition - as the Carnegie Center for Art and History, a division of the New Albany-Floyd County Public Library.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Neoclassical
Year Built: 1902-04
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved