HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
J. J. Newberry Co. Building
315 Pearl Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Frank and Jacob Zinsmeister purchased this lot for $6500 in September 1890, but did not have this building constructed for over a decade. The Neoclassical-style structure was built on the former site of the M.V. Mallory Livery Stable, and was probably built by noted local contractors S. Day & Sons. Originally, the structure contained three separate storefronts.

Numerous businesses occupied the spaces until the late 1920s, when J.J. Newberry Co. 5 & 10 Cents Store began occupying two-thirds of the building. The photo below, from the collection of the New Albany-Floyd County Public Library's Indiana Room, shows this and surrounding buildings circa 1943. Preston Arts Center relocated here in the mid-1970s, after a November 1973 fire destroyed their previous location on State Street.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Neoclassical
Year Built: 1901
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2021
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved