HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Bethel A.M.E. Church
315 East 5th Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This building was completed and dedicated in 1864 for the German Methodists, and it remained that congregation's home until 1890, when a new church was completed at the corner of East Fifth and Spring streets. This building was then sold to the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church for $3500. The Bethel A.M.E. congregation was organized in 1859, meeting for much of its early history in private residences until the purchase of this building.

The photo below, from the church's collection, shows the building during a parade in the 1940s or 50s.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Greek Revival
Year Built: 1864
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2021
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved