Mansion Row Historic District Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, the Mansion Row district includes many of New Albany's finest historic homes. It is significant for its association with the city's development, and for its outstanding collection of nineteenth and early-twentieth century architecture. The district boasts an array of impressive homes representing styles ranging from the restrained Federal style to the elaborate Queen Anne. Two of the state's wealthiest men - William S. Culbertson and Washington C. DePauw - both lived on Main Street, and their homes remain today as centerpieces of the district. Information on individual properties from Mansion Row walking tour brochure and other research by Floyd County Historian Dave Barksdale, and from National Register of Historic Places nomination, prepared by Susan Adams and Michael Newkirk. Listings
It is highly likely that the owners of 1417 East Main Street had this house built at the rear of their lot for either family members or for rental purposes. Mary S. Harwood, the widow of J.D., was the first resident of the home and probably lived here until her death in 1927.
house 45 East 6th Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: gable-front
Elias Beadle, a resident of Knox County in western Indiana, purchased this lot in July 1845 from Thomas Conner for $900.00 and had this house built shortly thereafter. It was later home to dry goods merchant James Doll and to attorney Noble C. Butler before being divided into apartments around World War II.
Charles and Elizabeth Hassenmiller – who lived next door at 517 East Main – owned this vacant lot, and hired noted local builders Stephen Day & Sons Contractors and Carpenters to construct this home. After completion of the house, the Hassenmillers sold the property to Benjamin E. and Nelle B. Rowe for $5,500.
The early history of this shotgun-style home is interwoven with its neighbor to the east, 617 East Main Street. It is very likely that New Albany architect and master builder, James Banes, built both houses soon after purchasing the lots in April 1875.
This home was built c.1875, likely by master builder James Banes, who owned the lot at that time. It was extensively remodeled around the turn of the 20th century, when the second floor was added, and again in the 1920s, when it was updated to take on more of a Craftsman style.
Like its neighbor to the west at 616, this Queen Anne-style house was built in 1900 as an investment property for John F. McCulloch. The first residents were the owner of the White House Department Store, Samuel W. Newburger, and his family.
One of New Albany's leading citizens, Washington C. DePauw, had his winter home built here in 1870, in the Second Empire style. The house is of frame construction, but has been finished to resemble stone.
Miss Adelaide Packard was a music teacher at DePauw College for Young Ladies, which was located directly across the street from this structure. Adelaide purchased the lot in March 1898 and had this frame, Classical Revival style building – which originally had a center tower – constructed the following year.
This Italianate-style home was built in 1853 for Charles Van Dusen, a riverboat captain. The captain wanted his home built on high ground, so he had dirt hauled in by carts to create a hill before beginning construction.
Now operated as the Culbertson Mansion State Historic Site, the William S. Culbertson home was built 1867-69 at a cost of $120,000. A noteworthy example of the Second Empire style, the mansion was individually listed in the National Register in 1974.
Built in 1852, this brick Federal/Greek Revival style house was home to James and Angelina Maria Lorraine Collins. Mrs. Collins is noted as the author of the first cookbook published in the state of Indiana.
This striking example of the Italianate Tuscan Villa style was built in 1851, based on a pattern book design by noted Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan. It was later home to the Barth family for more than six decades.
Levi Ferry, a prominent New Albany businessman and insurance agent, purchased these lots in 1865 and had his Upper High Street home built in 1866. The architects of the structure were likely William and James Banes.
An architectural companion to its neighbor to the west, this Italianate Tuscan Villa was built in 1854-55 for prominent New Albany attorney Phineas Kent. It was later home to Captain John B. Ford, a pioneer of the plate glass industry in America.
house 1016 East Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: vernacular
This elegant home was built in 1866 for William C. Shipman, proprietor of the Phoenix Foundry, one of the many shipbuilding suppliers in New Albany. The architect and builders of the structure were likely William and James Banes, builders of many fine Upper High Street residences of the time, including the Culbertson Mansion.
Walter A. Gadient purchased this lot in March 1914 from the administrators of the Washington C. DePauw estate. The house was constructed immediately, likely by the noted builders of the day, S. Day and Sons of New Albany.
The American foursquare style home at 1302 East Main was constructed in 1919 as the parsonage for nearby Central Christian Church, and was used as such until the mid-1950s.
Harry Bir House 1305 East Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Arts and Crafts
Year Built: c.1920
This home was constructed around 1920 for the Bir family. The family business, the Louis Bir Lumber & Manufacturing Co., began in 1882 and the lumber yard was located on this site prior to the construction of this and the neighboring house.
Constructed in 1853, this brick, Greek Revival-style home was built for Franklin Warren, who served as Mayor of New Albany from 1856-59. Ralph Waldo Emerson spent the night here during a February 1866 visit to New Albany.
house 1315 East Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: Bungalow
Year Built: c.1920
house 1319 East Main Street New Albany, IN 47150 Category: ranch
This was the residence of William Banes, builder of many of New Albany's finest homes in the late 19th century. Along with his brother, James, Banes was responsible for the Culbertson Mansion, the Culbertson Widows' Home, and the McCord mansion, among many others.
On July 19, 1834, a small group of people met in a private home on State Street to establish St. Paul's Episcopal Parish, the first Episcopal parish in Indiana. This building, the church's third home, was constructed in 1895-96.