HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Newburger-Collins House
620 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Like its neighbor to the west at 616, this Queen Anne-style house was built in 1900 as an investment property for John F. McCulloch. The Samuel W. Newburger family were the first residents of the house. Mr. Newburger was founder of S. W. Newburger & Company's White House Department Store, a downtown New Albany icon for 97 years. Mr. Newburger died unexpectedly at his store in March 1908; however, his widow, Leah, continued to reside here until 1915, when she moved to Salt Lake City. There were several subsequent tenants until the Collins family purchased the home in 1921. William Collins had a freight transfer and storage company - which also dealt in blasting supplies - located at 510-520 Pearl Street in downtown New Albany. Mrs. Amelia Collins passed away in 1935, but Mr. Collins remained here and remained active in business and civic affairs until his death in 1956.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Queen Anne
Year Built: 1900
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved