HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
James & Aglae Croxall House
1119 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This Greek Revival home was is believed to have been designed and built by Isaac P. Smith, New Albany’s leading architect and master builder of the mid-nineteenth century. Smith was also responsible for the 'Town Clock' church (Second Presbyterian) at 300 East Main Street, the Sloan-Bicknell-Paris House at 600 East Main, and his own home at 513 East Main, among many other prominent structures.

Constructed for James Croxall around 1853, this house is very similar to several other structures found in the historic neighborhoods of New Albany, including the Briggs-Cody House at 330 East 3rd Street, the Thomas Bradley House at 504 East Main, the James & Angelina Collins House at 917 East Main and the Warren-Morrill House at 1309 East Main.
 
Mr. Croxall was a bookkeeper in his son-in-law’s grocery concern of Kent & Bros. Later, James was partners in the flour and commission merchant establishment of W. H. Goldman. Mr. Croxall passed away in May 1862 and Aglae remained in the home through 1867.
 
Several owners followed, including Hannah Crawford, the widow of Randall Crawford, and George E. Sackett, secretary and treasurer of the New Albany Forge & Rolling Mills. In March 1892, Christopher Heimberger purchased the house for $5,500.00. Mr. Heimberger was an award-winning photographer and proprietor of the studio, C. Heimberger & Son. The Heimbergers lived in the home through March 1908.

After having been divided into apartments for many years, the home is currently being rehabilitated and returned to single-family use.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Federal/Greek Revival
Year Built: 1853
Year Renovated: c.1920
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved