HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Robert E. Burk House
901 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This house was built for the Robert Burk family around the turn of the twentieth century.  Mr. Burk, an insurance agent, purchased the lot and adjoining property in January 1893 and soon after had the shotgun cottage at 903 E. Main built.  The family lived there until this house was built in 1900.  Previously, the lots had been owned by several prominent local businessmen including: John K. Woodward, Emory Ford and Washington C. DePauw. These gentlemen were probably speculating with the two pieces of property. Mr. Burk and his wife, Lizzie, remained in the house until the mid 1920s.
 
Charles and Julia Luther took up residency in the home after the Burks and remained until the early 1940s.  Mr. Luther was a clerk for the U. S. Post Office.
 
The house then saw several different residents until the mid 1950s, when Theo. and Helen Pearson purchased the property. Mr. Pearson was a salesman for the old Summer Herman Ford Co. in Louisville.  The Pearsons only lived in the home a few years but retained ownership of the property and rented it, for over 10 years, to Truman and Tona Williams.  Since then, the house has been home to numerous occupants. The photo below shows the home circa 1970.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: gable-front
Year Built: c.1900
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved