HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Johnson-Godfrey-Steinhauer House
214 East 9th Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
The original section of this house, the two-story, two-bay portion, was built for William Marshall Johnson in 1850. Mr. Johnson was a retail grocer, with his store located on Main Street. In 1870, Lawrence Bradley purchased this home for rental use.  He later lost this property - along with his Italianate residence on the northwest corner of East Ninth & Market streets - at a 1901 sheriff’s sale, to the Second National Bank.  The William Godfrey family purchased the house in 1901 and remained here through 1915. Mr. Godfrey was the manager of the New Albany Steam Laundry Co., which still is in existence today.  By the end of 1915, the Edward C. Steinhauer family had located here and is responsible for the Classical Revival addition and detailing to the structure.  Mr. Steinhauer was a barber and owned his own shop.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Federal/Classical Revival
Year Built: 1850/c.1915
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved