HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Warren-Morrill House
1309 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Constructed in 1853, this brick, Greek Revival-style home was built for Franklin Warren, who later served as Mayor of New Albany (1856-59). In addition to his political career, Mayor Warren was also involved in the business venture of Plumer, Bushnel & Warren, iron dealer and ship chandlers. He later became a partner in the agricultural and seed store of Goulding & Warren, and was also a director of First National Bank, one of New Albany's first banking establishments. By 1865, the home was purchased by Dr. Wilbur F. and Mary Crawford Morrill. Dr. Morrill was a dentist, and Mrs. Morrill was the daughter of prominent New Albany attorney Randall C. Crawford. When Ralph Waldo Emerson lectured in New Albany in February 1866, he visited the Morrills and spent the night here. The home was later owned by James Montgomery, who owned the Tribune and Ledger-Tribune newspapers in the 1940s.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Greek Revival
Year Built: 1853
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved