Eisenhauer-Dudley House
615 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
The early history of this shotgun-style home is interwoven with its neighbor to the east, 617 East Main Street. It is very likely that New Albany architect and master builder, James Banes, built both houses in the years following his purchase of the lots in April 1875 for $775.54. Banes and his brother, William, were responsible for the design and construction of many of the finest residences found along New Albany’s ‘Mansion Row,’ including the Shipman-McCord House (1206 E. Main), the Ferry-Green House (1014 E. Main), the William S. Culbertson Mansion (916 E. Main), the Cornelia Memorial Widows’ Home (704 E. Main) and the now-demolished Jessie J. Brown House (formerly 1006 E. Main). Both homes were initially shotguns, but the home at 617 was later remodeled in the Craftsman style and the second floor added.
In November 1881, Mary Eisenhauer, the widow of Nicholas, purchased both houses from Mr. Banes for $1,015.00. Mrs. Eisenhauer had been widowed just four months prior to the purchase of the properties. She lived at 617 East Main until selling it to postal clerk James Tilford in May 1890, who at the time was residing at 615 East Main. Mary then moved next door to 615 East Main, home to her daughter Odelia and son-in-law, James Frank Dudley, living here until her death in 1930.
Frank Dudley had a number of occupations through the years, ranging from a watchman at Glenwood Park to an electrician for the telephone company to a machinist, but was primarily described in the City Directories as a carpenter. He and Odelia were listed as residents of the house through the 1949 edition of the New Albany City Directory, ending almost six decades of occupancy by the Eisenhauer and Dudley families.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: shotgun
Year Built: c.1875

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2023
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved