HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Kehoe-Garnier House
705 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This lot was purchased in March 1905 by Miles Kehoe, Sr., a leading builder and contractor in New Albany. A number of the business blocks and public buildings in downtown New Albany were erected by him. It was quoted in the New Albany Weekly Tribune that, “He was an honest, upright citizen and in his contracting business bore a reputation for integrity and willingness to carry out his agreements even though it resulted in financial loss to him.” Mr. Kehoe died in September 1911 from complications of a stroke of paralysis shortly after the house was completed.
 
Miles and his wife Rosa were residents of East Main Street, residing in the Samuel McClung House at 1118. The Kehoe family used 705 for investment purposes until 1920, when the family sold the property. The house saw another three owners, using it also for rental purposes, until Anna Mae Garnier purchased the house in February 1947. Mrs. Garnier only lived here a few months before selling it to the Paul J. Tegart family in July 1947. Judge Tegart and his family made their home here until moving to the historic Joshua Bragdon House at 517 East Main Street in the mid 1950s.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: vernacular
Year Built: 1910
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved