HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Central Christian Parsonage
1302 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
The American foursquare style home at 1302 East Main was constructed in 1919 as the parsonage for nearby Central Christian Church. Central Christian Church was founded in New Albany in 1874, and originally occupied a frame, Gothic Revival-style structure on East Spring Street between Fourth and Fifth streets. In 1908 the current church was completed in the 1300 block of Spring Street, two blocks north of this parsonage.
 
Central Christian purchased the 40’ corner lot on East Main Street for $1000. William Vasser, a New Albany builder, was awarded the construction contract for $6,667, which did not include the hardware or electric light fixtures. Construction began in late March 1919, and by April 19th it was reported in the church minutes that the cellar had been completed.
 
The parsonage was finished in fall of1919, and the house remained the residence of the pastors of Central Christian Church until the mid 1950s, when the Church purchased the Clarence Strack House at 1825 Ekin Avenue and relocated the parsonage there. The photo below shows the house in 1923, soon after it was completed.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: American Foursquare
Year Built: 1919
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved