HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Hart-Todd-Beeler House
1308 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This house was built for George O. and Addie Hart in 1862, after they purchased the lot in December 1861 for $800. At the time of construction, the house reflected the Greek Revival style of architecture. Sanborn Insurance Maps of 1891, 1898 and 1900 show the progression over time to the present-day Queen Anne style. In fact, the wrap around porch and the bay window on the west side are all ca.1900 additions. The home stayed in the Harts' possession until August 1866 when Charles S. S. Todd bought it for $6,000. Mr. Todd was partners in the wholesale and retail druggist concern of Todd & Riely, located on Pearl Street in downtown New Albany.
 
James F. Irwin, son-in-law to the notorious riverboat captain, Francis “Frank” McHarry, purchased the house at Sheriff’s Sale in December 1869. The property was later deeded to Emily McHarry, mother-in-law to James, in October 1887, one year before her death in 1888. There are no records of occupants during the time period that Mr. Irwin and Mrs. McHenry owned the property.
 
In 1900, the heirs of Emily McHarry transferred the property to Sarah F. Beeler, granddaughter of the late Frank and Emily McHarry. The first listing for the Beeler family at this location was in the 1901 New Albany City Directory. Sarah’s husband, John B., had previously been a farmer and contractor, but by 1910, the census recorders state that he had his own income, indicating that he was independently wealthy. Along with John and Sarah, Frank Beeler, a student and Dennis, Richard and Taylor Beeler, all dentists, lived here and remained through the mid-1910s.
 
In April 1916, Joseph and Katherine Winter purchased the home. Mr. Winter’s occupation was listed as a salesman. In the mid-1930s, the house was divided into apartments with the Winters still as residents but with different tenants occupying the structure through the mid-1940s.
 
The Lawrence Bryant family was the next permanent residents. Mr. Bryant was employed at the Colgate Palmolive Co. in Clarksville and like the Winters, the Bryants lived in the home and rented various apartments. By the time the 1960 New Albany City Directory was published, the Bryants were the only listed occupants. By the late 1960s however, the house was again used as rental property with as many as five units being rented at one time.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Queen Anne
Year Built: 1862
Year Renovated: c.1900
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved