HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
James H. Marshel House
1209 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Constructed in 1863, this Italianate-style brick home was built for James Marshel, wholesale dealer in coach and saddlery hardware, and manufacturer of horse collars, harnesses and carriages. In 1875, the property was sold to a New Albany physician, Dr. Elijah Newland, for $6,500.
 
The McCleans and Lappings were the next owners of the property. Both families were associated with the New Albany Wood Mosaic Company that supplied parquet flooring all around the country, including the White House in Washington, D.C. This home was also used as a showroom to the display the different flooring types and patterns, and features different designs in each room. The original carriage house and stable remain, at the rear of the property.

The photo below, from the collection of the Indiana Room of the New Albany-Floyd County Public Library, shows the house circa 1945.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1863
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved