HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
DePauw Apartments
818 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Designed by New Albany architect Paul E. Moosmiller, this Neoclassical-style structure was built in 1925 as four cooperative apartments. It was built on the site of the former DePauw College for Young Ladies, which had been razed in 1919. The school building had been bulit in 1852, and was initially known as Indiana Asbury Female College.The name was changed after local industrialist and philanthropist Washington C. DePauw helped to rescue the financially troubled institution, as well as funding construction of a new wing. In 1908, the building became home to the New Albany Business College, as shown in the postcard image below. The first owners of the apartments were Jewett, Knoefel, Sheridan and Helck families.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Neoclassical
Year Built: 1925
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved