HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
McCartney-Cobb-Danforth House
514 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
In June 1847 Alexander and Eliza Jane McCartney purchased this lot and are believed to have built this brick Federal style townhouse, completing it likely in 1848. The couple sold the home to John Conner in February 1850 for $2,800.00. After the death of Mr. Conner, his son, Benjamin Conner - a steamboat captain and ferryman - lived here with his wife, Isabella.

The home passed through a couple owners in quick succession before 1857, when it was purchased by Captain Noah Cobb and his wife, Eliza, for $3200. Noah Cobb was involved in the grocery and produce business, as well as being the owner and captain of several steamboats. He also served on the New Albany City Council for a time. 

Thomas and Adeline Danforth purchased the property in 1864. Mr. Danforth was secretary of the New Albany Insurance Company, also located downtown.

In 1882, Dr. Elijah Newland purchased the house and presented it to St. Paul's Episcopal Church as their parsonage. At the time, St. Paul's was located in the 600 block of East Main Street, on the north side of the street. St. Paul's - the oldest Episcopal congregation in Indiana - relocated to its current site at the corner of East Market and 11th streets in 1896. The current owners have completed extensive rehabilitation work on the home, and received a 'Facelift Award' from the New Albany Historic Preservation Commission in 2011 as recognition of their outstanding work.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Greek Revival
Water Heater: 1848
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved