HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Ferry-McDonald-Green House
1014 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Levi Ferry, a prominent New Albany businessman and insurance agent, purchased these lots in 1865 and had his Upper High Street home built in 1866.  The architects of the structure were likely William and James Banes, builders of many of the fine residences of the period, including the Shipman- McCord House (1206 East Main), the William S. Culbertson Mansion (now the Culbertson Mansion State Historic Site), and the Alexander Dowling House (1217 East Spring).
 
Levi Ferry only lived in the house briefly: in May 1869, the property was purchased by banker John S. McDonald for $10,500.  The home remained in the McDonald family for almost thirty years.  Mr. McDonald was also extensively engaged in the pork packing industry of this city, and a partner in the New Albany Rolling Mills, located on West Water Street in downtown New Albany.  After the death of John in 1877, his widow, Nancy, remained in the house until her death in June 1899, except during a brief spell in the early 1880s. During this time, General James A. Ekin and his family also lived in the home. He was Assistant Quartermaster General Brevet Brigadier General U.S.A. in charge of the Quartermaster Depot in Jeffersonville.  Ekin Avenue in New Albany bears his name.
 
Henry Green purchased the property in May 1907 and it remained in the Green family through the late 1940s. Mr. Green was vice president of the Ohio Falls Iron Co., located over three blocks on West Water Street in downtown New Albany. His brother, John and sister Susannah, came to live in the house shortly after he bought the home. Sue, as she was known, was head nurse of the New Albany Chapter of the American Red Cross and the great-niece of the founder of modern nursing, Florence Nightingale.  After her death in June 1947, the mansion was divided into multiple apartment units and remained so until the late 1970s. It has been operated as a bed and breakfast since 1993, with the current owners – who purchased the property in 2002 – doing a great deal of restoration and renovation work. The home has received a 'Facelift Award' from the New Albany Historic Preservation Commission because of that work, and has also been featured on the annual historic homes tour.

The photos below, from the collection of the New Albany-Floyd County Public Library, show the house around 1905. The Indiana Room of the library also has several historic interior images of the house in its collection.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1866
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved