HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Moore-Tabler House
815 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This home was built in 1848 as a gift to Scott Moore and his wife, Mary Ann, from Mary Ann's father, John Conner. Mr. Moore was associated with the dry goods firm of Conner & Co., located on East Main Street near Pearl in downtown New Albany. Scott would eventually have his own dry goods firm, also in the downtown area. It appears that the Moores lost their home to the bank in April 1869. There were several different owners over the next few years, including the Blackistons and the Trinlers. In 1885, the Peter Tabler family took ownership of the property. After a couple other owners, Professor Henry H. Dreyer purchased the property in 1924, to use as a rental. It appears that by this time, the upstairs had been turned into a separate apartment. Prof. Dreyer had a concert band which was based next door at 819 East Main, and operated there from 1912 until the 1940s. Edythe Dreyer, Professor Dreyer's widow, moved into the upstairs apartment in this house in the late 1940s, and lived here until her death in March 1961. The Robert Schroeder family purchased the house in 1962, and lived here almost a half-century. Mr. Schroeder was parts manager for the Craig Ford dealership in downtown New Albany, and later at Jim O'Neal Ford in Sellersburg, as well as being an accomplished musician and wood crafter.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Federal
Year Built: 1848
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved