HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Samuel Culbertson House
904 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This brick Queen Anne-style mansion was constructed in 1886, as a wedding present from William S. Culbertson - who lived next door - to his son, Samuel. By the mid-1890s, the Samuel Culbertson family moved to an elaborate new mansion at 1432 South Third Street in Louisville (which also still stands today). Samuel was once president of Churchill Downs, and the tradition of placing the garland of roses on the Kentucky Derby winner began during his leadership. This property later housed the Hazlewood Eye Infirmary, and was also home to the 'Redman Club' - a fraternal organization - for many years. The photo below shows the house in 1893.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Queen Anne
Year Built: 1886
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved