HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Emil Kiel House
836 Cedar Bough Place
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
The area of land that became Cedar Bough was part of some seventy-five acres owned by the Loughrey family in the early nineteenth century. Local real estate broker Andros Huncilman purchased the land that would become Cedar Bough Place in April 1883, and development began with Huncilman’s own house, at 839 Cedar Bough Place. The neighborhood developed in fits and starts over the next decades, with the last home built circa 1920.
 
The bungalow at 836 Cedar Bough Place was constructed for Emil and Violet Kiel in 1908. Kiel worked with his father, Gustav, at G. Kiel & Sons, a tobacco manufacturer on Main Street. The Kiel family occupied this home for over fifty years: Emil passed away around 1953, and his wife, who worked as a seamstress at Floyd County Memorial Hospital, continued to live on Cedar Bough until her death in 1959. The home was then purchased by John C. Caufield, an English professor at the University of Louisville, and his wife Irene. The current owner has continued the careful preservation of the home and has done extensive work on the gardens. A 100-year birthday party for the house was featured in 'This Old House' magazine in 2008.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: bungalow
Year Built: 1908
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved