HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Bradley-Gwin-Janes House
831 Cedar Bough Place
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
In August of 1891, Lawrence L. Bradley purchased this lot (13) and lot 11 for $2500.00.  By the time the 1892-93 New Albany City Directory was published, Charles L. Bradley was listed as living here.  Charles was superintendent of the New Albany Cotton Batting Mills.  In the 1894-95 New Albany City Directory, Lawrence L. Bradley is listed as living here, the only listing for him at this address.  Mr. Bradley was cashier for the Second National Bank and later owner of a general brokerage and insurance company in New Albany.  Lawrence had already sold lot 11 in March of 1892 for $1250.00 to James Johnson. The photo below shows the house, likely before the turn of the 20th century.

Although there is no record of the Bradley family living in the house after 1895, the family owned the property until December 21, 1905 when the Earl S. Gwin family purchased the home “on the Bough” for $3500.00.  In June of 1908, Earl purchased lot 15 from Charles Williamson for $350.00.  Mr. Gwin was cashier for the Second National Bank and lived here through 1915, selling both parcels in January of 1916 to the William E. Janes family for $5000.00.  Mr. Janes was a chemist and this marked a long tenure of over 45 years that the family occupied the home.  Mr. Janes died in May of 1956 and his widow, Rosa, remained in the house through the early 1960s.

By the mid 1960s, Mrs. Virginia L. Jenkins, a nurse, purchased the property and lived here through the mid 1990s. The house suffered a significant fire in 2006 and has undergone substantial rehabilitation since.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Queen Anne
Year Built: 1892
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved