HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Brereton R. Huncilman House
810 Cedar Bough Place
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This home was constructed for Brereton R. (Bert) Huncilman and his new bride, Ida Knipe, in 1904. The house was constructed on the lot he purchased from his mother, Annis, in August of 1904 for $1,000.00.  Bert’s father was Andros Huncilman, the original owner and developer of Cedar Bough Place in the early 1890s.  Bert was originally a roofer and tinner before founding the metal specialities company Bert R. Huncilman & Son.
 
The Huncilmans lived here for only six years before selling the property.  In October of 1912, Charles and Carrie Edler purchased the house, after renting it for about two years.  Mr. Edler’s occupation was listed as a bookkeeper. Charles died in the house in May of 1946 at the age of 76, and his widow remained in the home until the mid- 1960s.  Carrie was very active in her church, Trinity United Methodist, where she taught Sunday school for many years.  She also served as district treasurer of the Women’s Foreign Missionary Society for 25 years.  Mrs. Edler was 95 years old when she passed away in Franklin, Indiana in January of 1969.
 
Other owners of the house have included: Leslie Bomar, Karen and David Hock, and Bonnie and Ralph Hildenbrand.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: gabled ell
Year Built: 1904
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved