HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Hauss-Gill House
313 East 14th Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This house was built for investment purposes by Dr. Augustus P. Hauss around 1912-13. It replaced a prior structure that was part of the larger estate of Dr. Hauss, whose mansion is located just around the corner at 1319 East Market Street.
 
This home saw numerous tenants during the first 20 years, some including; A. MacLean, T. Sonner, J. Schmitt and Loretta Hauss. By the time the 1933 New Albany City Directory was printed, Mary C. Gill was residing in the house. Miss Gill served as secretary for Dr. Hauss for 40 years. Dr. Hauss’s office was next door to his residence and on the corner of East 14th and Market Streets, adjacent to Mary’s home. She eventually purchased the structure in November 1935 from Dr. Hauss. This would begin an occupancy by Mary that would last almost 20 years. She died in May 1952.

The house was rehabilitated as part of the 'Midtown Renaissance' project, and was also featured on HGTV's 'House Hunters' in 2011. The photo below shows the house prior to that rehab.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: bungalow
Year Built: 1912
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved