James M. Seabrook House
1318 East Market Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
This new house was purchased by William and Izella Sanderson in July 1882. That year’s New Albany City Directory lists Mr. Sanderson’s occupation as being a clerk. Eight years later, in February 1890, James Seabrook and his wife, Lillie, purchased the home for $2750. Mr. Seabrook was the grandson of Daniel Seabrook, a New Albany pioneer who came to New Albany in 1813, shortly after the Scribner brothers founded the town.
James was a railroad employee, first working for the Illinois Central and later as depot master with the L&N Railroad from which he retired in 1932. Mr. & Mrs. Seabrook were members of Wesley Chapel Methodist Church, where James was secretary of the Sunday school department for more than 60 years and Lillie was member of the musical organization known as the Treble Clef Club.
Mrs. Seabrook died in August 1915 at the age of 54 years and James continued his residency here until his death in 1945 at the age of 91. At the time of his death, his sister, Miss Mary Elizabeth Seabrook, was residing with him. By the time of the death of Mary Elizabeth in March 1948, the home was no longer occupied by the Seabrook family, and it has passed through a number of owners since.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: gable-front
Year Built: 1882

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2024
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved