HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Murray-Gohmann House
1106 East Elm Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
George Helfrich, Jr. purchased this lot in November of 1885 from Dr. Augustus Hauss and his wife. In November of 1889, George signed the property over to Martha Helfrich, probably his wife. The exact date the house was constructed is unclear, but was built sometime between 1885 and 1890.  The Helfriches used the property for an investment, and rented it out for at least 20 years.
By the early teens, the Jas. J. Murray family was making their home here.  Mr. Murray was listed as a salesman in the 1913 New Albany City Directory.  Members of the Murray family lived in the home for over 50 years. 
By 1966, Miss Agnes Gohmann was residing here. Miss Agnes, as she was affectionately known, was an employee of S. W. Newburger’s White House Department Store, located on Pearl Street in downtown New Albany.  For many, many years, she called the Fine Gifts and Household Department, on the third floor, her home.  Miss Gohmann retired from the White House when it closed in 1977 and continued to live on Elm Street until her death in August of 1986.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: shotgun
Year Built: c.1890
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved