HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Melchoir Orth Saloon & Grocery
432 East 5th Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This building was constructed c.1880 in a vernacular Italianate style. The 1886 Sanborn Insurance map shows it as a three-story structure being used as a dwelling. Local legend has it that the structure was used as a brothel, possibly during this time period. Sometime between 1886 and 1891 the third floor was removed and the building took on its current configuration. The John H.H. Hinkebein Saloon and Grocery was located here by the time the 1892 New Albany City Directory was published. By 1895, Melchoir Orth had located his saloon and grocery here, and remained here until September 1906 when John F. Werle purchased the building and had his grocery here. Mr. Werle also resided upstairs. Other grocery and markets followed in the first half of the 20th century, including Harry M. Short Grocery, Kermit A. Crosier Grocery, Reid's Quality Market and Patsy Ann Market. In the mid-1940s, Leonard M. Patrick had located his electrical company, Patrick Electrical Company, in the building. By the early 1950s, the Robert Moore Advertising Agency along with Southern Indiana Publications, Inc. had located in the structure. Two of SIP's publications included the New Albany Shopper and the Southern Indiana Review. These businesses remained in the building through the early 1960s followed by WXVW Radio locating here for a short period of time. The building saw numerous tenants since that time, and by the turn of the 21st century had fallen into disrepair. Jyl Clark and Mary Silva acquired the property in 2002 and completed a meticulous rehabilitation of the structure.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: c.1880
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved