HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Cline-Atkins House
1014 East Spring Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
In May 1888, George Cline and his wife sold this house to widow, Mary Gale, for $3,700. The Clines had purchased the property in July 1869 and were listed as living in this block of East Spring Street as early as 1871, but it remains a mystery whether this house dates to the early 1870s. Cline and his brother Daniel were proprietors of a New Albany building-materials establishment located on East Market Street in the downtown. Mary Gale, the widow of Joseph, lived in the home until shortly before her death in July 1902.

The next owner was, one-time Floyd County Treasurer, Amos Atkins. In later years, Atkins was a blacksmith and worked for several New Albany foundries.

In the mid-1920s through the mid-1930s, physician, Mary McKamy, had her residence and medical practice here, after moving from the ca. 1883 M.A. Weir Mansion at 1109 East Spring Street.

Numerous occupants followed until the mid-1970s, when present owner, Thomas Spudich began a 40 year residency of the property.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Queen Anne/shotgun
Year Built: c.1885
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2023
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved