Alois Miller Building
623 East Spring Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
Alois Miller and his family were living here by the time of the printing of the 1868 New Albany City Directory, although they did not purchase the property until November 1870. The Millers first used the building as a variety and notions store, as well as their residence. From the mid-1890s until about 1910, the Millers ran a saloon here.

From 1911 through 1936, a number of different businesses were located in the building, operated by various individuals. These included:
Edward M. Beck, saloon
William A. Bauer, saloon
William A. Bauer, soft drinks
Mayme Schmidt, dry goods
Mayme Schmidt, confectionery
William F. Miller, confectionery
Etta Bailey, lunheonette
Theo Brown, grocery
J.O. Knoefel, drugstore

By 1937, Hyman Goldberg had located his Hospital Pharmacy here, and would later change the name to Leon's Pharmacy. The Goldberg family also resided on the second floor. After the closure of the pharmacy, son Bruce Goldberg had his law office here for a number of years.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: c.1866

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2024
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved